Sunday, March 18, 2012

Excuse Me While I Freak Out Quietly Over Here.... And a New Challenge

So, It's been more than 6 weeks since my last post.  That's bad.

However, I have a good excuse!  Namely, I've been quietly freaking out over the fact that I might not have a day job anymore.   My city is facing "draconian" budget cuts.  The library looks to be taking a huge hit, following the other huge hit we took 2 years ago.

I would love to tell you more, give you specifics, but I must be discreet.   My city is very sensitive, and I live in a hire-at-will state.  How much would it suck to not get laid off, but then get terminated for shooting my mouth off?

And I am really good at shooting my mouth off.  So, as much as it galls me,  I can't really say much.  So as much as I want to have a big old-fashioned-breath holding hissyfit, I can't.

So, to distract myself, I am setting a new challenge.

My GoodReads "To Read" Shelf just spiked at over 150 books.  That is a lot of books.

I will clear off this shelf by the end of 2012.  

Here are the rules:


  • I will attempt to read every book marked To Read on my GoodReads shelf by December 31, 2012.  
  • The 50 page rule still applies.  If any book I pick up does not work for me in the first 50 pages, I reserve the right to abandon it. 
  • Audio books count. 
  • To choose what I read, I will set the sort to random, and read the first thing I can get a hold of.  
  • I will blog about each book.  
  • Only books added before March 17, 2012 are eligible for the challenge.  I'm sure my "To Read" List will continue to grow, but I'm human, damn it. 
To start, I will read The Girl of Fire and Thorns and Why We Broke Up. 




1 comment:

  1. Awesome! You've inspired me to stick with the Classics challenge I signed up for this year. :) So far I've read one chapter of one book, and I've forgotten it so will start over. But I'm not giving up. First book is Mark Twain's Personal Recollections of Joan of Arc. :)

    ReplyDelete