Wednesday, March 2, 2011

A New Challenge: The Great Graphic Novels for Teens List

So... Great Graphic Novels for Teens.

This is a YALSA list that I watch with some interest.  Full disclaimer:  I am not active in ALA.  The conference fees are prohibitive, and my library does not subsidize professional development.  I have met many of the librarians who serve on the GGFNT committee and think that they are excellent at what they do.

However, this list puzzles me.  Often, their choices seem off the mark.  I think part of it is that they never define what "great" is.  Is is popularity?  Quality?  Readability?

In an effort to better understand the list, I am making a pledge.  This year, I will (attempt) to read every book nominated for the Great Graphic Novels for Teens list.  Yes, even the non-fiction.  And the manga.

The first batch of nominated titles is now up.  Let's see..... well, I've read Return of the Dapper Men.  And Axe Cop is on my desk.  So I'm 2 for 7.  Oy.

No comments:

Post a Comment